Receding gums are another mostly aesthetic malady. However without the protection of our gums our teeth can become even more stained and can breed bacteria which can cause gingivitis and infections. The causes of receding gum line are many - periodontal diseases (bacterial infections), genetics (30% of the population even if they take perfect care of their teeth, studies show), aggressive tooth brushing, insufficient dental care and hormonal changes (pregnancy and menopause).
So what's the fix? There are several natural remedies that show good results and some store-bought solutions. We will take a look at both.
Natural remedies to Receding Gum Line
- Rinse your mouth with salt and luke warm water every morning. This can reduce pain and swelling.
- Rinse your mouth with Sesame Oil. Sesame oil has natural antibacterial properties and other benefits for your gums. Rinse in the morning with 1 teaspoon of oil for 30 seconds, spit, and rinse with fresh water. Do this for 30 days and you will see some positive results.
- Drink Chamomile tea. Don't get us started on Chamomile. This is a magic flower. Doctors even prescribe Chamomile tea for treating gum inflammation due to it's anti-inflammatory and soothing properties.
- Add tea tree oil to your toothpaste. Tea tree oil is another amazing natural remedy for many things. It has anti-inflammatory properties and other vitamins that are good for skin treatment including your gums. We can't get enough of Tea Tree Oil, plus it smells pleasant (to me anyways).
- Coconut Oil + Baking Soda. Mix 2 tablespoons Baking Soda with 2 tablespoons Coconut Oil to remove bacteria and kill unwanted germs. Also used to treat gum pain.
- Floss. Yep, what the dentist always tells you. Some gum disease can be caused by bacterial build up in between your teeth. That's where the bacteria likes to hide. So break out your dental floss. It will be painful and bloody at first but if you stick to daily flossing your gums will improve.
- Clean your tongue. There are many tongue scrapers and cleaners on the market. Find one that works for you and keep your tongue clean. This will not only improve your breath but reduce bacterial colonies in your mouth that can help to improve your gum health.